Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Creating Something Out of Nothing

A Day in The Life of a Florist:
Today was a miracle! I had no white roses for an 8am. Mon. funeral. Late Sat. I drive to Sam's Club and pick up their only dozen decent white roses that came in the day before (their retail is my wholesale cost LOL!) It's the day before Easter and we have run out of everything! Even greens. I have to make a $189 cross out of practically nothing! I sparingly insert the remainder of our Israeli Ruscus, hoping that the brown mâché is not too obvious. Next I strategically place the dozen white roses (including one extra broken one from last week left in the cooler) into the cross. I recycle one of our droopy Easter lilies, cutting off the best buds. I remember that Rene Van Rems taught us how to insert chenille stems into buds that are difficult to push into foam, and lo and behold it works perfectly. Wondering what to do next to make this cross turn out ok, I quickly see if it's for a male or female-"Grandfather", ok baby's breath is out. Then suddenly the white dendro's from last week barely holding on for dear life, call out to me! OH the texture, oh the lime color, oh the lovely surviving white blooms! Miracles of miracles, I cut the dendros in thirds and begin placing them here and there. Now this cross is getting interesting! It drips with opulence and intrigue. It looks like some floral artist carefully thought out and planned this piece to turn out like this. The best part is using up "what was in my wagon"!

No comments:

Post a Comment